The Omega Seamaster De Ville is a classic line of watches that combines the robust characteristics of the Seamaster with the elegant and dressy design of the De Ville series. Here’s a closer look at its history and distinctive features:
Introduction and Production
- Launch Date: The Seamaster De Ville collection was introduced in the early 1960s.
- Transition to De Ville: Initially part of the Seamaster line, the “De Ville” label indicated a more elegant and dressier design. By the end of the 1960s, Omega separated the De Ville line into its own series.
Design and Features
- Case Size: These watches typically feature case sizes ranging from 34mm to 36mm, suitable for a variety of wrist sizes.
- Materials: The Seamaster De Ville came in various materials, including stainless steel and gold. Some models featured a gold-plated case.
- Dial: The dials are known for their simplicity and elegance, often featuring stick hour markers, a clean design, and sometimes a date function.
- Movement: These watches were powered by reliable automatic or manual movements. Some featured chronometer-rated movements, emphasizing their precision.
- Water Resistance: As part of the Seamaster line, these watches had improved water resistance compared to other dress watches of the time.
Market Position and Collectibility
- Mid-Range Luxury: The Seamaster De Ville was positioned as a mid-range luxury watch, accessible yet offering the quality and prestige associated with the Omega brand.
- Collectibility: Vintage models have become popular among collectors, particularly those in good condition with original dials and parts.
- Variety: There is a wide variety of Seamaster De Ville models, providing plenty of options for collectors and enthusiasts.
The Omega Seamaster De Ville is a testament to the brand’s ability to create watches that are both robust and elegant. Its place in Omega’s history is secure, representing a transitional period that eventually led to the establishment of the De Ville line as a separate entity. Today, these vintage watches are cherished for their timeless design, reliability, and the nostalgic value they bring to collectors and enthusiasts alike.
Model: Seamaster De VIlle
Case Width: 35mm
Dial / Face: Silver
Metal: Stainless steel
Year of Manufacture: 1960s
Movement: Automatic Self Winding – Calibre 552
Band / Strap: 18mm Black Leather